Sunday, February 8, 2009

Personally Conducted Tours to Heaven

The pastor's week is done, so I reflect upon His week given to me. Apart from the preaching of God's Word and listening to young people recite the heart exalting rythem of Scripture, I was blessed to worship with 1,500 pastor praising our Faithful Savior Jesus Christ at the Desiring God Pastor's Conference. The last message given by Mark Dever reverberated in my soul that I am always to be about the business of proclaim the true Gospel promisciously with as many as the Lord would put along my path. To see every soul apart from Christ as forever dying in torments of hell. To live my life with an eternal of urgency while I still breath. God refreshed my soul and my cup runs over. The last words Dever spoke to us were from well know 19th century preacher C.H. Spurgeon. What hit me was that I should be engaged in personally conducting tours to Heaven, which is a far more eloquent way of saying telling the sinner the Gospel. Here is the quote:

I am occupied in my small way, as Mr. Great-heart was employed in Bunyan’s day. I do not compare myself with that champion, but I am in the same line of business. I am engaged in personally-conducted tours to Heaven; and I have with me, at the present time, dear Old Father Honest: I am glad he is still alive and active. And there is Christiana, and there are her children. It is my business, as best I can, to kill dragons, and cut off giants’ heads, and lead on the timid and trembling. I am often afraid of losing some of the weaklings. I have the heart-ache for them; but, by God’s grace, and your kind and generous help in looking after one another, I hope we shall all travel safely to the river’s edge. Oh, how many have I had to part with there! I have stood on the brink, and I have heard them singing in the midst of the stream, and I have almost seen the shining ones lead them up the hill, and through the gates, into the Celestial City.

Oh, that I would lead many to behold of the glories of Heaven and so fulfill my calling to preach the Gospel to as many as the Lord would put along my path.

I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
1 Corinthians 9:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment