Thursday, August 13, 2009

“Nothing You Can Do to Harm Me”

John Chrysostom (ca. 347-407) is considered to be one of the great saints of the Church. When John was brought before the empress Eudoxia, she threatened him with banishment if he insisted on his Christian independence as a preacher.

"You cannot banish me, for this world is my Father's house."

"But I will kill you," said the empress.

"No, you cannot, for my life is hid with Christ in God," said John.

"I will take away your treasures."

"No, you cannot, for my treasure is in heaven and my heart is there."

"But I will drive you away from your friends and you will have no one left."

"No, you cannot, for I have a Friend in heaven from whom you cannot separate me.

I defy you, for there is nothing you can do to harm me."
– Between Two World Blog

Do you have John Chrysostom’s ardent faith in the face of what will befall us all? Is Christ, your sovereign comfort, life, treasure and friend as you face death? He is all that and infinitely more. Praise your sovereign King JESUS! Lift high His NAME in all the Earth for no lasting and eternal harm can come to you for all of God’s promises are assured in Christ Jesus our LORD. Amen!

Your Pilgrim Brother,

Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment